Well here we are, alive and well in LA. I'm even blogging again. Woohoo
It has been an insane couple of weeks, between the baby being born, packing up our stuff, then moving out here, and unpacking our stuff. With the two years we were at Jared's parent's we hardly touched about 50% of our things, so it made for some fun surprises.
(Who would've thought we'd have gotten by with a 6 piece set of silverware and 4 plastic plates for our dinnerware. Apparently we were slumming it in Provo all those years ago).
Anyways, just days before the move I was stricken with mastitis and a UTI. That's right, I was stricken like the pioneers were stricken with their ailments, because let's face it, I was very much like a pioneer recently. Likewise Nicholas, our beloved "Kiki", was hit with a nasty cold/flu rendering him fussy, irritable and flowing with overwhelming amounts of mucus. Well that put us back a few hours of work, but somehow we managed to pack everything on time and get going on our drive south.
A few hours later after (fortunately) little crying from both babies we arrived. The apartment was covered with a layer of dust, ants, and generally nasty things; I guess thats what you get for not seeing the place before you rent it. After freaking out for a few minutes ("I have to live in THIS with my babies?!"), we (Jared, his dad, mom, sister Brittany, and BIL Kelly) got to work unloading our junk into the junkyard, while simultaneously bleaching and vacuuming every square inch. I would have taken pictures, but honestly I do not want to remember what it was like.
By the third day, after dropping $500 at Target and $300 at BB&B, and nearly getting robbed at Walmart in Crenshaw (*shudder* I hate Walmart), we felt like we could breathe again. My ailments finally cleared up, Kiki showed improvement, and the baby only woke up twice at night. Now that we have been around for 11 days we are finally feeling like this is our place. The only significant element we are lacking is our couch, which has proven to be quite essential; it arrives friday.
All things considered I would say we like this place quite a bit. Even though we are still killing ants daily (yuck!), and we seem to have chosen the foreign language housing (more on this later-- at least they're quiet neighbors), we are becoming very comfortable here, and are settling in quite well. Kiki finally stopped asking to go "home", and has the way to the park and laundromat down pat. I think we'll do just fine here.
Wow that was a long entry... and it only took me four tries...
Thursday, September 17, 2009
A Series of Unfortunate Events...
Posted by Paige at 2:53 PM
Labels: la living, my neighbors don't speak english, nicholas, sickness
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hey Mama!! I am so glad you are finally settling in...I cant wait to hear about it all, we have been in Tahoe so I will give you a call tomorrow and I want to hear about it all!! Miss you tons:)
Isn't packing up and moving pretty much the biggest pain in the buttocks? Very stressful and definately up there with pioneer stuff lol. By the way, I appreciated your text. It so happened to come during one of Niel and I's many quarrels/arguments of the crazy moving day so I didn't get a chance to text back. But I did appreciate it:) I hope that is normal to get in fights during a move lol. Glad you are all settled in now.
p.s. Asian's food smell. Good luck with that one.
Post a Comment