I spent the last four months trying my hand at gardening. I had always wanted to try to grow my own vegetables and develop a bit of a green thumb. I had a small plot in our complex that allowed me to experiment with growing tomatoes, peppers, and zucchini.
I feel like I learned so much, especially by doing it the wrong way. I learned to plant earlier, prepare the soil weeks in advance, water less on the leaves, find a plot that doesn't have nasty soil, how to avoid blight and other fungi, and more importantly to not expect a big return on my hard work the first season!
All in all our garden yielded mostly tomatoes, many of which were eaten by bugs (slugs!), or knocked off the vine prematurely by helpful neighborhood kids, in addition to a lot of basil. Our peppers never quite germinated except for a few that got gobbled. Bummer. It wasn't cheap, but I am glad I got to have a trial run before we can have a garden at our own home someday.

3 comments:
You're so beautiful Paige. You look like you should be in a home and garden magazine. I've always wanted to try a garden.
So true! I spent about 100 bucks last year on some tomato plants, strawberries, soil, etc and I didnt get one tomatoe and the strawberries looked like little marbles! I think I will stick to whole foods;)
Found your blog!! Love it!!
Post a Comment